Golf Benchmark

The source of golf industry knowledge

Details

  • Type: Article
  • Date: 09/12/2017

KPMG Golf Participation Report: Slight growth in Europe

Press release - 12 September 2017

Today sees the launch of the Golf Participation Report for Europe 2017 from KPMG’s Golf Advisory Practice. The report, which provides invaluable figures for key stakeholders in the golf industry, is the latest of KPMG's annual publications offering analysis and insights into Europe’s golf industry. This year's edition bears good news in store for the golf industry: slight growth.

According to the survey, which is based upon statistics compiled from local golf associations in 43 European countries, the continent’s golf markets are displaying positive signs of growth in 2016.

In fact, when taking a closer look at Europe’s golf markets, 79% of local golf associations indicated in 2016 that their level of participation had either stabilized or increased. The remaining 21% of European markets still experienced some decline, including key markets such as Scotland and Austria.

Our research demonstrates that the number of registered golfers showed a slight increase, by 1.2% (+50,028 players), while the supply of golfcourses declined by 28 courses (24 openings and 52 closures). Forty-four per cent of European countries surveyed experienced agrowth in participation rates, 35% showed stability and in 21% of the countries surveyed demand declined. Our research further shows that men make up 67% of the total registered golfers across Europe in 2016, and the proportion of European population who actively played golf (0.9%) has not changed since 2015.

As we have identified a moderate level of growth in 2016, it is important to reflect upon various creditable golf development initiatives, which have been launched in previous years with the aim of reaching new audiences and retaining existing golfers across Europe. These initiatives and the hard work of many other golf industry stakeholders, provide evidence for a consciously optimistic outlook for the game's development. Certain markets have demonstrated exemplary performance and highlighted the opportunities a proactive and coordinated approach can achieve.

Together with other industry research materials, KPMG’s Golf Participation Report for Europe 2017 is available for download on www.golfbenchmark.com.

Ends

About KPMG’s Golf Advisory Practice
KPMG Golf Advisory Practice possesses in-depth knowledge and experience of the business side of the golf, lifestyle real estate, hotel and tourism industries. Our Practice has provided professional services to developers of new and owners of existing golf courses, be they stand alone courses or part of an integrated real estate and leisure resort across Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA) and further afield.

We have assisted developers of integrated resorts in conceptualizing projects in which golf plays an important role and also several owners and operators of existing golf courses in becoming more efficient from an operational point of view in an increasingly competitive market place.

Our international client base comprises:
  • Developers of integrated real estate and leisure resorts incorporating golf
  • Owners and operators of existing golf courses/clubs and integrated golf resorts
  • Banks, investors, real estate funds and private equity groups
  • Golf and tourism industry bodies and associations.

About KPMG
KPMG is a global network of professional services firms providing Audit, Tax and Advisory services. We operate in 152 countries and have 189,000 people working in member firms around the world. The independent member firms of the KPMG network are affiliated with KPMG International Cooperative (“KPMG International”), a Swiss entity. Each KPMG firm is a legally distinct and separate entity and describes itself as such.

© 2017 KPMG Advisory Ltd., a Hungarian limited liability company and a member firm of the KPMG network of independent member firms affiliated with KPMG International Cooperative (KPMG International), a Swiss entity. All rights reserved.


KPMG contacts:    

Andrea Sartori
Partner
KPMG Global Head of Sports
andreasartori@kpmg.com

Philipp Uhrig
Manager
KPMG Golf Advisory Practice
puhrig@kpmg.com




 

Sign up now

Subscribe to selected content and receive email alerts when new content is available.

Already a member? Login

Not a member? Register

Troubleshooting

Please contact the Golf Benchmark Team directly if you have any troubles with the registration or login procedure to the Golf Benchmark website.